3 - 4 June 2019
Warsaw (details to be announced)
About the course
Passionate Product Ownership is a Certified Scrum Product Ownership® Course that blends solid product management, user experience design, and design thinking into a collaborative team-based approach to Scrum product ownership.
That’s a mouthful of jargon, but what’s important to know is that this isn’t just a course about filling the product ownership role in Scrum. It’s a course that teaches the practices you and your team need to create successful products.
Jeff Patton’s Approach To Successful Product Ownership
Product ownership is one of the most critical and most difficult roles in an agile process. Too often organizations adopting agile approaches and Scrum are lead to believe a single person in a product owner role is responsible for making all the decisions about the product- down to the last detail. The result is stressed, overworked product owner that’s become a bottleneck for everyone else in the organization. Others with critical input and valuable skills are often shut out of the process. In the end the product being built gets worse, and people in the company are less happy than ever before. But that’s not the way agile development is supposed to work. This class is about an approach to agile product ownership that does.
In this course, Jeff teaches a team-based approach to product ownership where a product owner leads a small discovery team that includes the roles and skills necessary to create a great product.
What do you get
- Training from Jeff Patton, a recognized industry expert.
- Recognition by the Scrum Alliance as a Certified Scrum Product Owner®.
- A light breakfast, a full lunch, morning and afternoon snacks, and continuously replenished drinks.
- Electronic access to training materials and pages of supporting handouts giving full description and advanced discussion on concepts and practices taught.
- Quick reference guides that distill practices to a single 2-sided page of simple instruction
- A copy of Jeff’s book, User Story Mapping.
- Printed and bound workshop handout - over 100 pages.
- A two-year membership in the Scrum Alliance, a $100 value.
- This course earns you 16 SEUs (Category B) within the Scrum Alliance.
- This course also earns you 15 PDUs within the PMI. SEUs and PDUs can be used toward CSP, PMP, PMI-ACP and other certifications.
Who Should Attend
- Product managers, business stakeholders, and product marketing professionals: to understand the practices that lead to valuable products
- User experience practitioners, and business analysts: to understand the practices that lead to usable and desirable products
- Senior engineers: to understand the practices that lead to feasible products
- Project managers, Scrum Masters, and agile coaches: to understand how to guide successful product discovery and delivery
What will you learn
The simple Scrum Framework is an effective product delivery approach, but the hardest part of software development is figuring out exactly what to deliver.
In this course you’ll learn:
- The goals and activities of product discovery.
- To use a dual-track approach to development where a discovery track is used to guide rapid learning, and a delivery track is used to guide rapid delivery of validated product solutions.
- How to use effective product design concepts and practices to engage in effective collaborative product discovery work.
- Practices that blend the best of agile, lean, and user experience thinking. These practices allow small teams to engage in faster, more collaborative product design and validation.
- Lean Startup and Validated Learning
- Design Thinking
- Workshop facilitation and card modeling.
- Lightweight persona sketching.
- User story mapping.
- Collaborative design sketching.
- Paper prototyping and testing.
- Techniques for finding a minimal viable product.
- MVP in a large product release.
Expect to get your hands dirty. You won’t spend time dozing to PowerPoint slides. You’ll be up and moving and getting hands-on experience working in a small collaborative group.
Course Objectives and Outline
It’s our primary goal that you successfully apply collaborative techniques to make great products.
While this course covers the details you’ll need to fulfill or support the Scrum Product Owner role, we believe that understanding the role and its requirements isn’t enough to be successful. In this course you’ll engage in a process simulation that models a different way of working; a way that emphasizes working collaboratively with others using a user-centric product design approach. At the end of this course you’ll be able to:
- Envision and describe the day-to-day work practice of a Product Owner and a Product Discovery Team.
- Draw from a variety of user-experience and lean product design principles and practices to support your product discovery and design work.
- Implement effective collaborative practices that focus on shared understanding and shared ownership of your products.
Working with Jeff is amazing. Jeff is doing the most innovative work I know of around release planning, agile interaction design, and putting requirements into context.
Sr Software Engineer, mobi
- Agile, Scrum, & Product Ownership
- Agile origins and values
- The essential Scrum Process Framework
- Product ownership practice that wraps the Scrum framework
- Dual track development
- Product discovery
- Collaboration, card modeling, and shared understanding
- Design thinking
- Lean start-up’s validated learning
- User stories and story mapping
- Story essentials
Use discovery to answer big questions:
- Will they buy and/or adopt the product?
- Can they use it?
- Can we build it?
- How will we break up and schedule the work?
Use delivery to execute:
- Plan the details
- Design, develop, and test
- Measure development speed
- Evaluate progress and quality
About Jeff Patton
Veteran product manager, agile, lean, ux and product design evangelist.
Jeff Patton is the glue that connects good product management and strategy, lean user experience and agile delivery practices together. He has authored numerous articles, essays and, most recently, a book, “User Story Mapping.” An independent consultant with a unique teaching and speaking style, he uses hand-drawings and engaging storytelling to share his passion for product design.
Jeff has a long, involved history in product design. He has designed and developed software for the past 20 years on a wide variety of projects from on-line aircraft parts ordering to electronic medical records. Jeff has focused on Agile approaches since working on an early Extreme Programming team in 2000. In particular, he has specialized in the application of user-centered design techniques to improve Agile requirements, planning, and products. From his work with Tomax to Thoughtworks, you can review his work on his Linkedin profile. Jeff is an independent consultant, providing training, coaching and consulting services. He’s also available to lecture and speak at various conferences and events.
What will participants get?
In two days you’ll be exposed to a huge number of concepts and practices, but as you start to make use of them, you’ll need more. Printed articles, handouts, quick-reference guides and the best available book on product management help you continue learning long after the class.
Take-home material includes:
- Electronic access to slides and articles used in the training.
- 19 pages of supporting handouts giving full description and advanced discussion on concepts and practices taught.
- Quick reference guides that distill practices to a single 2-sided page of simple instruction.
Will I get a certification?
This course contains all the necessary instruction to qualify participants for Scrum Product Owner Certification. The certification is given and the status maintained by the Scrum Alliance. To receive the certification, the student need only attend the course.
Along the way you’ll learn:
- Effective approaches to small team collaborative work
- Workshop facilitation
- Techniques for working quickly using lightweight card modeling
- Take away material that helps you keep learning
What should I bring?
We'll notify you well in advance what to bring. For now, just don't plan anything major for the Sunday night before to the workshop. Get plenty of sleep and get yourself ready for a super intensive 2 day training course.
Is lunch provided?
Lunch, healthy snacks + tea, coffee & water are provided.
Can I return my ticket?
You can return your ticket no later than 30 days before the start of the course. More information in our Terms of Service..
How would you like to pay?
- Prices do not include VAT or processing fee by Eventbrite. Avoid the latter by selecting “pro-forma” option.
- All payments in PLN. Prices in EUR indicative only.
Bank Transfer (Pro-Forma)
- Ideal for corporate clients in Poland
How it works? ?1. Fill in a form & Select tickets
2. We email you with a pro-forma invoice
3. You have 5 working days to pay
4. We send a prepayment invoice
5. We send the final invoice after the event
Credit Card via Eventbrite
- Ideal for clients outside of Poland
- Eventbrite will invoice you once the payment is settled
Thanks for your order
We’ll email you with a a pro-forma invoice within the next 24h.
Please settle this over the following 5 working days, otherwise we'll need to cancel your order.